Cannabis and Hemp Lawyers

Our Marijuana Attorneys in Portland and Southern Oregon Lead by Experience

The future is bright for retailers, processors, growers and other businesses in the legal cannabis and hemp industries. However, their challenges remain great. In addition to common operating requirements, these business owners face complex, shifting and tightly controlled regulations. Success is dependent on reliable and accurate legal representation.

Loney Law Group can assist you and your business in navigating the world of legal cannabis and hemp. Our lead attorney helped to draft Measure 91, which legalized the recreational use of marijuana in Oregon and established the basis for commercial production and processing of marijuana, hemp and other cannabis products in the state. In addition, we were the first law practice to legally-structure cannabis businesses in Oregon.

Our in-depth operational knowledge makes Loney Law Group uniquely qualified to support your vision in this expanding industry. Whether you’re a seasoned entrepreneur or new to the industry, an investor, lender or landowner, we can help you navigate the complex legal frontier and chart the right path to ensure that you — and your business — are properly protected.

Our Attorneys Help You Navigate Enforcement, Regulation and Licensing

Bureaucracy is time consuming, frustrating and expensive. It’s also full of potential liability.To get through the process quickly and with limited risk, you need representation from an attorney who continuously monitors local, state and federal regulations and stays ahead of proposed rules and legislation. We can help with your challenge to any administrative legal concern.

Loney Law Group can advise and represent you, and our team will help you navigate the administrative rule-making process efficiently. You’ll benefit from the depth of our experience in working with these agencies:

Our cannabis attorneys have the industry covered
  • Retail Sales, Producer and Processor Business Formation
  • Regulatory Compliance
  • Trademarks and Branding
  • Lease Negotiations
  • Legal Updates
  • Employees and Independent Contractor Agreements, Contracts and Disputes
  • Non-Compete and Non-Disclosure Agreements
  • Dispensary Application Process
  • Administrative Reviews and Appeals
  • Obtaining and Reviewing Permits
  • Land Use, Zoning and Jurisdictional Compliance
  • Product Labeling Requirement

Recreational License FAQ

As a retailer, do I need to be concerned with where other marijuana business are located?

At the state level, you can be within 1,000 feet of any marijuana dispensary, as well as any other retailer. However, local counties and cities may have different rules.

As a producer, where do I need to store my usable marijuana?

While retail dispensaries are required to utilize a safe or vault, a producer must use an enclosed and locked secure area.

As an outdoor producer, do I need to have an eight foot fence around my canopy?

As part of the physical security requirements, yes. However, you may apply for a waiver if you can demonstrate hardship or show that your local jurisdiction prohibits building such a fence. You must satisfy other security requirements to qualify for the waiver.

As a vertically-integrated business, can I obtain a discount on multiple licenses?

No, OLCC offers no discounts for multiple licenses.

As a processor, must I have a commercial kitchen?

Yes, you are required to operate in a commercial kitchen.

Can I operate both a medical and a recreational business at the same location?

No, you may not co-locate any medical operations with any recreational businesses.


Did you know?

The Oregon Liquor Control Commission (OLCC) offers six different types of licenses associated with the cannabis and hemp industries:

  • Producer: Ability to plant, cultivate, grow, harvest and dry marijuana.
  • Processor: Ability to process, compound, or convert marijuana or hemp into cannabinoid products, concentrates, and/or extracts.
  • Wholesale: Can purchase quantities of marijuana from other licensed facilities and sell the products to licensed retailers, processors, producers, other wholesalers, or research certificate holders. Can purchase hemp from licensed processors and sell hemp items to licensed retailers, processors, and other wholesalers.
  • Laboratory: Accredited by the Oregon Environmental Laboratory Accreditation Program (ORELAP) and responsible for testing marijuana items for pesticides, solvents or residual solvents, tetrahydrocannabinol and cannabidiol concentration, and for microbiological or other contaminants.
  • Retail: Can sell or deliver marijuana or hemp items directly to consumers.
  • Research Certificate: Ability to research marijuana for the purpose of benefiting the state’s cannabis industry, medical research, or public health and safety.